North Carolina is frequently ranked as one of the best places to retire for several reasons, including proximity to the mountains and beaches, and the lower-than-average cost of living. But sometimes thinking about relocating as a senior could be overwhelming. Leaving your home where you made countless memories, raised kids, and hosted numerous family gatherings becomes more than just a move. It is the beginning of a new stage in life. This new transition doesn’t need to be stressful with the help of a little planning.
- The first step is to make a plan. Think about how much you will be handling yourself and how much will you need to outsource. Will you hire a moving company or a senior move management specialty company? Will you need to put anything in storage?
- Next, start downsizing. Having a lifetime of items to sort is a task best not left for last. It is likely you will be moving into a smaller residence, so start sifting through your belongings and sort them into a keep, toss, and donate pile.
- Get a jump on sorting as soon as you can and start with the areas of your home you visit the least; attic, basement, garage, and spare rooms. Breaking these downsizing tasks into smaller bite-sized tasks will make them more manageable.
- Start planning your space. What do you already have that will or will not fit in your new space? Take a look around your current residence and take note of the items that are of great importance to you. Don’t move things you don’t need or love.
- As moving day approaches, be sure to notify people of your change of address. This includes family, friends, the post office, publications or associations, and banks. Don’t forget to cancel or forward your utilities while you’re at it!
- Moving is stressful and takes a toll emotionally, mentally, and physically regardless of your age. Don’t be ashamed to ask for help! Whether it is assisting with physical packing or organizing different details of the move, ask for help, but don’t wait until the last minute to seek this support.
For over 35 years, Twin Lakes Community in Burlington, North Carolina, has been the residence of choice for hundreds of relocating seniors. Twin Lakes has provided a setting that allows people from across the country to live a life they enjoy, to live a life that matters. Among our many outstanding accolades, including a five-star rating from the Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services, CARF accreditation, exceptional financial rating and more, what means the most is our residents’ stamp of approval, their pride, peace of mind, and satisfaction in calling Twin Lakes home. Schedule a tour of your new home today by calling (336) 538-1572.